When I was a kid, my mother would sometimes make us chocolate covered bananas. It was a great treat. And then I kind of forgot all about them until one day I was reading a story to my own kids about a curious little monkey (Yes, the monkey you are thinking of!) and an ice cream adventure. At the end of the story the monkey is rewarded with a “chocolate covered banana-sicle”, and my kids said… “You should make those Mum!” And so I did.
These really are the simplest treat, with only 3 ingredients. Totally guilt free, and they make a great alternative to ice-cream. The coating is a basic chocolate shell that you can also use on ice-cream or any cold treat. You can find the sticks in the craft aisle of any department store, make sure to get the “natural” and not the coloured sticks.
This recipe makes approximately 12 to 14 servings. Store in the freezer for up to a week.
|1 bunch||Bananas (6 or 7)|
|1 cup||Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips|
|2 tbsp.||Coconut Oil|
- Peel the bananas and cut in half horizontally.
- Slowly and carefully insert a craft stick in the cut end of the banana to about half its length.
- Arrange on a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate into a tall narrow jar or a tall water glass.
- Dip each of the bananas into the chocolate and remove, turning slowly to catch any drips at the end and hold for about 10 seconds until the chocolate sets.
- Serve immediately or store the bananasicles in an airtight container in the freezer.