Oooooh summer fruit! As you can probably tell, we are pretty in love with whatever fruit is in season at any particular moment. Call us capricious, but why not!? There is nothing more delicious than fruit at its peak. And this week its cherries!
Ripe sweet cherries are almost obscene in their perfection, and while some may hate those little pits, I welcome them. If it wasn’t for the pits, I would eat cherries all day long.
This decadent french dessert is light and airy but at the same time deep in flavour. It might not be a classic summer dessert in your family…yet. But I bet once you taste it, you’ll agree it tastes like summer.
This recipe produces 6 individual desserts or 1 – 8 inch tart pan and takes about 1 hour to complete.
|70g (5.5 tbsp.)||Superfine Sugar|
|1/2 cup||All Purpose Flour|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|2/3 cup||Heavy Cream|
|–||Powdered sugar for dusting|
|–||Pinch of Salt|
- Preheat your oven to 325OF
- Halve and pit the cherries.
- Separate the egg whites from yolks.
- Grease and line your baking pans with parchment. 6 individual tart pans or one 8-inch tart pan.
- Arrange about half of the cherries in the bottom of the pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and half of the sugar until smooth and pale yellow.
- Fold in the flour, vanilla, cream and salt. Mix just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining sugar to stiff but glossy peaks.
- Fold the whites gently into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the pans and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread the remaining fruit over the top, and quickly return to the oven and back for an addition 5 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed dry.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar.