Mmmm. Garlic! I love garlic, and these garlicky mushroom tikka skewers are packed with garlicky flavour. They are hardy and savoury and simply mouth-watering. The trick to ultimate flavour is sautéing the garlic in super hot oil until it is a deep brown colour.
These skewers make a great side for your next barbecue, but are filling enough to be the main event. Your vegetarian friends will thank you for not just pointing to the salad and throwing up your hands and the meat eaters will be hard pressed to deny how good these skewers are.
The marinade calls for strained yogurt / hung curd but you can use a good quality thick greek yogurt in its place. If you are using wooden skewers try soaking them in water overnight to keep them from catching fire. Settle your grilled mushrooms and peppers on top of the little beds of asparagus and let the flavours mingle. Serve with our green chutney for a punch of freshness.
Garlicky Mushroom Tikka with Asparagus
Makes about 8 skewers, and takes approximately about 1:15 hour including time for marinating.
|3 tbsp.||Olive Oil|
|1 tsp.||Coriander Powder|
|1 tsp.||Cumin Powder|
|1 tsp.||Kashmiri Chili Powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Chili Powder|
|3 tbsp.||Chickpea Flour|
|2 cups||Strained Yogurt / Hung Curd|
|15 – 16||Large Button Mushrooms|
|3||Bell Peppers (1Each of Red, Yellow and Orange)|
Grilled Asparagus Ingredients:
|20 – 25 spears||Asparagus|
|1 tsp.||Olive Oil|
|½ tsp.||Garlic Powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Chili Flakes|
- Finely dice the garlic.
- Chop the onion and peppers in large chunks.
- Add 3 tbsps. Olive oil to a sauté pan, heat on high.
- Sauté the garlic until deep brown, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir well.
- Add the onion, peppers and mushrooms to the marinade. Stir to coat completely and marinate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat your grill
- Arrange the vegetable on skewers.
- Clean and trim the asparagus spears.
- Horizontally skewer bunches of 4 to 5 spears asparagus together through the tops and bottoms of the spears.
- Brush the asparagus with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder to taste, and chili flakes if desired.
- Grill the mushroom skewers and asparagus until the vegetables are cooked through and grill marks are visible.
- Serve immediately.