This recipe is one of my summer time favourites. In winter I almost never think about it, but once summer is here its the first thing on my mind. Crispy grilled polenta with a creamy centre topped with a simple tomato salad, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with parmesan. Its quick easy and delicious. If you are growing your own backyard tomatoes, or have a scoop on some gorgeous heirloom varieties this is the way to highlight them.
If mother nature decides to rain on your parade, you can also fry the polenta in a hot non-stick frying pan. I like to use a little butter in the pan just for the flavour.
As always, if you have tried one of our recipes please leave us your comments. We love to get your feedback!
Grilled Polenta with Tomato Salad
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare, not including time for the polenta to set. Polenta can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. The salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
|2 cups||Corn Meal|
Tomato Salad Ingredients:
|2||Medium to Large Tomatoes|
|1||Medium Red Onion|
|3 tbsp.||Olive Oil|
|~||Salt and Pepper to taste.|
|1 – 2 tbsp.||Grated Parmesan|
|1 – 2 tbsp.||Balsamic Vinegar|
- To prepare the polenta:
- Grease a large loaf pan or 8×8 baking dish, and set aside.
- In a medium to large pot, combine the cornmeal, water and salt and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Stirring continuously, bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Continue to stir vigorously as the mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- When the polenta begins to pull away from the side of the pot as you stir, remove it from the heat and pour it into the greased baking dish.
- Smooth the top, and allow to cool completely, or place in the refrigerator over night.
- To prepare the salad:
- Dice the tomatoes and onions.
- Add the tomatoes, onions and olive oil to bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix.
- Set aside.
- Slice the chilled polenta into square about 2”x2” and about the width of a pencil.
- Preheat your barbeque or electric grill, and spray with non-stick cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Grill the polenta slices until the surface begins to crisp, and grill marks are visible. This may need to be done in several batches depending on the grill size.
- Quickly arrange the polenta slices on a platter or serving tray.
- Top each piece of polenta with a spoonful of tomato salad.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the platter, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Serve Immediately.