We stood in Quidee’s kitchen, melted ice-cream dripping from our chins, giggling like little girls. We were having a grown-up ice-cream party. We had finished our little respectably sized dishes of deliciousness, but we just kept going back for more. Not wanting to waste a drop.
This ice-cream is a chocolate lovers dream. It’s everything! So rich and chocolatey it blows the mind. The texture is also a thing of beauty; soft enough to scoop but almost fudgy. And the lemon coulis, well lets just call Quidee an evil genius. I thought the combination sounded a little odd. Sweet rich chocolate and bright tangy lemon didn’t seem like a natural pair. But wow! The two together are incredible. This is a dessert people will talk about!
Chocolate Truffle Ice-cream with Lemon Coulis
This recipe makes about 5 cups of ice cream and 2 cups of coulis and takes 30 to 45 minutes to prepare, not including chilling time.
Chocolate Truffle Ice-cream Ingredients:
|6 oz.||Bitter-Sweet Chocolate|
|¼ cup||Cocoa Powder|
|3||Egg Yolks (Room Temperature)|
|1 ½ cups||Heavy Cream|
|1 cup||Whole Milk|
|1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.||Cornstarch|
|2/3 cup||Lemon Juice|
|1 tsp.||Lemon Extract|
- To Prepare the Ice-cream;
- With an electric mixer, blend the eggs and sugar together on medium speed.
- Heat the milk and cocoa powder in a pot for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Until hot but not to boiling.
- While still beating on medium speed, very slowly add the hot milk mixture. Pour very slowly so as not to scramble the egg yolks
- Once combined, return the mixture to the pot. Heat on low, stirring continuously until the custard has thickened and is just about to reach a boil. Don’t allow it to reach boil.
- Remove the custard from the heat, strain through a sieve and set aside.
- Grate the chocolate into a mixing bowl.
- In a pot heat the cream just to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Combine the custard and the melted chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Pour the mixture into the freeze chamber of your ice cream maker and churn as per your unit’s individual instructions.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and store in the freezer for up to two weeks.
- To Prepare the Lemon Coulis:
- Prepare a double boiler, or bring a pot of water to a boil, placing a shatterproof bowl on top.
- Dice or shred the cold butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the mixture and the butter to the bowl of the double boiler.
- Whisk continuously, until the butter has completely melted, and the mixture has thickened. About 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.