And now for something totally different!
I love chocolate and spice together, so I wanted to come up with a cookie with this combination. I had a couple failed attempts using chili and chipotle powders, I just wasn’t getting what I wanted and then it hit me. Candied Jalapeños!
The jalapenos simmer in the sugar syrup until they become fiery hot jelly candy. By mixing them into the dry ingredients of the biscotti base they become coated and don’t clump together when you mix the dough, allowing for even distribution. Double baking makes the biscotti crispy and perfect for dunking.
Unless your kids have a penchant for spicy heat, these may not be the best after school snack. Try them first and decide for yourself before offering them up to the kiddos.
Chocolate Jalapeno Biscotti
Makes approximately 24 pieces. Takes about 2 hours to complete including bake time.
Candied Jalapeno Ingredients:
Biscotti Base Ingredients:
|1 ¾ cups||All Purpose Flour|
|½ cup||Cocoa Powder|
|1 ½ tsp.||Baking Powder|
|100 g||Milk Chocolate|
|1 ½ tbsp.||Water or milk|
- In a deep saucepan, combine 2 cups each of sugar and water, heat to a boil.
- Slice the jalapenos in rings, add to the boiling syrup, and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally, and adjusting the heat as needed to avoid over boiling.
- Remove the jalapenos and set them in a single layer on wax paper to cool.
- In mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa and salt.
- In a separate bowl cream together the sugar and butter.
- Once the sugar and butter are combined, add the eggs and milk and beat with an electric beater until smooth.
- Add the baking powder to the wet mixture and beat for one minute more to combine.
- Add the jalapenos one at a time to the dry mixture and toss to coat them.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and combine with a spatula or large spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 3500F.
- Divide the dough in half, place each half on a piece of plastic wrap, and use the plastic wrap to help shape the dough into small loaves about 3 inches wide and 1 inch high.
- Place the loaves on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the loaves and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing in 2cm slices. About 12 slices per loaf.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 3250F.
- Return the sliced loaves to the baking sheet with the slices turned on the side. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven, flip and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Cool the biscotti on a wire baking rack.
- In a small saucepan on low heat melt 100 g of chocolate; add 1 ½ tbsp. water to loosen the chocolate enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle over the cooled biscotti.
- Once chocolate has set, store in an airtight container.