I am of the mind that sometimes the only thing that separates dessert and breakfast is the time of day. I’ve done granita and brioche in the Sicilian morning sun. I delight in a jelly filled danish any time of day. Pie for breakfast? Pie is fruit, right? … and then I was hungry again. Lets be honest, those things are delicious but half an hour later you are on the downward side of the sugar rush roller coaster.
Our delicious No-Bake Peanut Butter Oat Balls, are filled with healthy fats, oats, and just a bit of chocolate. They will keep you satisfied longer and they are about 150 calories each. So, have two for breakfast on the go or one with coffee as an afternoon pick me up, or a sneaky snack to curb those late night munchies.
Now, lets talk coconut oil. Please, buy the good stuff! Raw virgin organic coconut oil. You have undoubtedly heard all the health claims associated with coconut oil, i.e; lowers LDL, curbs appetite, boosts metabolism, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, the list goes on. You can do your own research for evidence to support those sorts of claims, but I can promise you won’t get any of those benefits from cheap refined coconut oil. And when you do buy the good stuff, don’t melt it in the microwave! Scoop out the amount of coconut oil needed into a small bowl. Place that small bowl in a larger bowl and surround with hot water. The coconut oil will melt gently and the molecular structure won’t be damaged.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Oat Balls
This recipe makes about 10 to 12 balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
|1/2 cup||Creamy Peanut Butter|
|1 cup||Quick Cook Oats|
|½ cup||Unsweetened Coconut|
|2/3 cup||Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips|
|¼ cup||Coconut Oil|
- Warm the coconut oil to make it soft enough to mix evenly.
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Combine with your hands until evenly mixed.
- Clean your hands, and then with wet hands scoop one heaping tablespoon at a time and press tightly as if making a golf ball sized snowball.
- Roll gently in your hand to smooth the surface and then place on a sheet of wax paper.
- When all the balls have been rolled, place them in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow them to set.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.