If you are looking to shake up lunch with something light but filling, this could be your lucky day. Did you know chickpeas are nearly 20% protein by weight? If you are like me; someone who needs some protein in their meal to feel satisfied, chickpeas are your friend.
Kulche Chole is a common street food in India. It’s a sweet, sour, slightly spicy chickpea salad, filled into a fresh soft flatbread pocket. Sure beats mystery meat that has been floating in a warming tray for half the day, doesn’t it? I think these pockets would make great picnic food, a much welcomed surprise for your vegetarian friends at your next barbecue or you could prepare the filling and bread on Sunday, and start your work week off with the tastiest choice in the lunchroom.
Makes 8 portions, the filling will last 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Chick Pea Preparation Ingredients:
|2 cups||Dry Chickpeas|
|1 tea bag||Orange Pekoe|
|2||Small to medium potatoes|
|½ cup||Chopped Parsley|
|½ cup||Tamarind Chutney|
|1 tsp.||Ground Black Pepper|
|1 tsp.||Chili Powder (*Optional, add if you would prefer a higher level of spice)|
|8||Freshly Baked Kulcha Flat Bread|
- Prepare the chickpeas:
- Rinse the chickpeas, drain and add to your slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker add 8 cups of water, the salt, cardamom and the orange pekoe and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Alternatively, you could soak all the ingredients of the chickpea preparation together overnight, then simmer on the stove for one hour.
- Strain and cool.
- While the chickpeas are cooking boil two potatoes unpeeled until tender and let cool.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes similar in size to the chickpeas.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and finely dice.
- Finely chop the parsley
- Dice the onion and tomato.
- To a large bowl, add the chickpeas, potatoes, parsley, jalapeno, onion and tomato. Mix.
- Add the Salt, Cumin, Paprika, and Black Pepper.
- Add the tamarind chutney to the mixture.
- Zest the lemon, and then add the zest and juice of the lemon to the mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Taste! Add the chili powder to increase the spice level if desired. Add additional salt as desired.
- Cut each of the flat bread about half way through then use the sharp edge of the knife to open a pocket in the lower half.
- Fill the flatbread pockets with the filling and serve.