Fresh warm bread, is there any greater temptress? We originally planned to just include these pockets as part of our Kulche Chole (or Chickpea Pocket) recipe, but as soon as I tasted them I knew they had to have their own post.
Unlike a pita type sandwich pocket which can be tough or chewy, these are soft a fluffy. I want to fill these with chicken salad, or falafels or maybe pulled pork.
You will notice with this recipe, we are not activating the yeast before adding it to the other ingredients. If you are a seasoned bread baker that may seem strange, but just go with it.
This recipe produces 8 flatbread sandwich pockets, and takes 4 to 5 hours to complete including proofing.
|2 ½ cups||All Purpose Flour|
|2/3 cup||Warm Water|
|1/3 cup||Warm Milk|
|3 tsp.||Active Dry Yeast|
|3 Tbsp.||Olive Oil|
|1 Tbsp.||Melted Butter|
- Warm the milk on the stove or in the microwave until it feels warm to the touch but not hot.
- In a bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and salt with the milk and stir.
- Add the olive oil and 1 tsp. of the oregano.
- Add half of the water
- Add 2 cups of the flour and knead by hand or in a stand mixer using the bread hook attachment. Save the remaining flour for dusting your workspace later.
- If the dough is too dry, slowly add enough of the remaining water to make the dough come together. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Continue to knead 4 to 5 minutes by mixer or 8 to 10 minutes by hand, stretching and folding the dough as you work it.
- Let the dough sit in a bowl covered with a clean tea towel in a warm place to rise for 2 to 3 hours or until the dough has doubled. Inside the oven with the light on for heat is perfect.
- Pour out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead gently to remove any air pockets.
- Divide the dough into 8 equally sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and then press flat.
- Arrange the rounds of dough on a non-stick or lightly greased and floured baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel and let rise again in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours or until doubled in thickness.
- Remove from the oven if applicable and heat the oven to 5000F
- Once the oven has reached temperature, bake for about 10 minutes, or just until the tops begin to turn golden, then remove from oven.
- Brush the tops with the melted butted and sprinkle with the remaining oregano.
- To fill, cut half way through the bun then use the edge of the knife to open a pocket in the lower half.